Monday, March 14, 2011

Why does people chose to shop at Pasar Payang?

Pasar Payang or the Central Market of Terengganu is located in the middle of the old part of Kuala Terengganu, next to its main riverside. It is a double story buidling with natural ventilation which seems unedequate and most of the time the whole atmosphere seems too suffocating due to flocks of people visiting and shopping, especially when this time around was the school break season for Malaysia. So, if you are not a fan to 'congestion' so this might not be the place of your interest, but you would not get 'accredited' as being in Kuala Terengganu if you haven't step foot in the market and 'feel' its ambience!

Just for the record, I've been here before, so, knowing how the place would turn out during peak season doesn't create the thrill of going there at all and it doesn't made me a big fan of this place and furthermore - me and shopping? it doesn't always pair well.!! However, I would have to 'entertain' this opportunity. Which explain the reason behind packs of shopping bags that I have to carry by the end of 2hrs 'shopping spree'..hehe (auw..looking at those items inside the bags now, none were meant to be mine actually..auchh)



Anyway, the Pasar Payang is divided to several areas which designate the item that were on sale. For example, on the Ground Level - it was all selling dry spices, delicacies and other food related. Where as on the upper level - were filled with series of arcade that selling fabric, mostly batik and songket, lots of it! The whole ambience which fills with colors and patterns and more colors, which made me kind of fuzzy. It create such a twirl in your eyes having to go through all those vibrant colors at one go, let alone having to select one that could be consider-nice.

I can't imagine how stressful, I would turn out to be if I were to go through all those fabric and having to choose which one I would desire most!! It defintely not going to be so.. so I just grab something that looks decent enough in less than 5 minutes of decision making, as souvenirs to family members without having put much thought of colors or design except the quality of the material, which also were presented in huge variations to suit your budget. I would really admire those who go through all these from one arcade to another, and another just to find something interesting enough to suit their taste and of course-budget. I mean, really - you have to bargain and serious bargain takes time and effortless persuasion, which to me, time is not something seriously you wish to spent in such 'suffocating' place like this..


On overall, I would reckon that the authority should look deep into the cleanliness expect of the whole complex and for such profit making place, certain amount money have to be put aside for maintenance purposes and the daily upkeep of the place. I mean, this place still looks the same like I've been here when I was a child and also another round ten years ago (haha..it was that long ago, and I've been traveling back and forth to Terengganu for almost 2 years now..) Also, it would be a good idea to have the whole complex to be air-conditioned as it could be humidly hot for tropics like Terengganu.